This is a tutorial on how to convert your WordPress multisite main site into a pure single-site installation. This tutorial assumes the following:
- You only want to moved your multisite main site into a single site installation. You don’t care about any of your subsites.
- You are using Apache web server (that uses .htaccess)
- You are using Prime Mover PRO plugin. If you are using the Prime Mover FREE version, you need to upgrade to a paid version. PRO version is required to move the multisite main site.
- You don’t want to delete any of your existing wp-content/uploads/ files, plugins and themes.
- You want to use the same domain name after being converted to WordPress single site.
- You want to use the same hosting server (you don’t want to move to another different hosting).
- Create a single-site package of your current multisite main site using Prime Mover PRO. Make sure it is of single-site format.
- Download a copy of that single-site format package to your Desktop just to be sure you have a local copy. The original copy will still be saved in the /wp-content/uploads/prime-mover-export-files/1/. Do not delete this, you will use this later on.
- Just to be sure, manually backup all of your files and database so you can restore it just in case you need it back.
- Now you have done backup and creating a single site format. It’s time to delete your entire current WordPress multisite database.
- Create a new WordPress database using the same database name as it was before (so you don’t need to change wp-config dB credentials). This new WordPress database should be empty. WordPress and Prime Mover will fill this up with content later on.
- Open your wp-config.php and delete all multisite related constants. Make sure you removed all multisite constants in wp-config.php. For example these are the multisite constants common to all multisites:
/* Multisite */ define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true ); define('MULTISITE', true); define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true); define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'yourexamplesite.test'); define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/'); define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); define( 'COOKIE_DOMAIN', $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] );
- Open your .htaccess and removed all of the current syntax. Simply empty your .htaccess – make it blank.
- Open your site in the browser to install WordPress. Example: https://yourexamplesite.test/wp-admin/install.php
- Proceed to install WordPress until it’s done.
- Now you have a fresh single site WordPress installation working – login and activate Prime Mover PRO. Enter the license key.
- Go to Prime Mover -> Packages. You should see your single site package there.
- Now restore it, once restoration is done – re-save your permalinks so the .htaccess can be updated.
- Done – your site is now successfully converted as a single site installation.
In summary, it’s very easy to convert your existing WordPress multi-site main site into a single site installation using Prime Mover PRO.