Scope: Prime Mover Free / Pro version
This tutorial applies for both Prime Mover Free and Pro Version. This teach you how to migrate your WordPress single-site installation to a multisite installation. The target site installation could reside in a different server or your localhost.
IMPORTANT : If you are using Prime Mover Pro for the first-time , please read this get started guide first.
WARNING ! Please follow the instructions below religiously so you won’t get error like “Wrong import site package! Please check that the import zip package is correct for this site.” when restoring the package.
Step1: Get the blog ID of the target subsite in multisite
Please read this dedicated guide on retrieving target subsite ID in multisite. Once you have the target sub-site blog ID, return to this tutorial and move on to Step 2. below.
Step2. EXPORT A MULTISITE PACKAGE in your single-site
- Login to your WordPress single-site installation.
- Activate latest version of Prime Mover plugin. This should be exactly same version as the one used in your multisite.
- Optionally opt-in to Freemius notifcations.
- Go to Tools – Migration Tools.
- Click Export.
- Choose Export Options ( in this example , we export everything (dB, media, plugins / themes )
- Under Export to Multisite.
- CHECK Export to Multisite format CHECKBOX..
- Now enter the blog ID of the multisite sub-site created in the previous section. Enter only in integer format, the plugin will validate this and won’t accept any non-integer values. In this example, the blog ID is 4.
- Click Export Now. Wait until the export is completed. This process can take time depending on the size of your website.
- When its all done, the package will be downloaded to your computer. (for free versions).
Restoring a multisite package
- Login to your multisite as network administrator.
- Go to Network Sites, find the site that will be imported into under Import Site column, click the corresponding Restore button. It shows the blog ID is 4, so its the correct site to restore.
- If the package is correct for the site, it will show a confirmation dialog. Please review the information to make sure its correct for your site.
- If you get error like ““Wrong import site package! Please check that the import zip package is correct for this site.” This means you have created a wrong package (e.g. you created package for single site package but you restore it to multisite). Or you have restored the multisite package to a wrong subsite (e.g. you have created multisite package for blog ID 4 but you restored it to blog ID 6).
- If there is no error, Proceed to the import. This process can take time depending on the size of your package.
NOTE: We will improve this workflow in the coming versions which we will include an export wizard that makes this process much easier for you. So that you will never miss any steps!