Scope: Prime Mover Free / Pro version
IMPORTANT : If you are using Prime Mover Pro for the first-time , please read this get started guide first.
This tutorial applies for both Prime Mover Free and Pro Version. This teach you how to migrate your WordPress single-site installation to another single-site installation. The target site installation could reside in a different server or your localhost.
Exporting a package
- Activate Prime Mover Plugin
- Optionally opt-in to Freemius notifcations.
- Go to Migration Tools.
- Click “Export“, export options dialog will show.
- Select appropriate export options. In this tutorial , we select the complete export mode (export database + media + plugins/themes).
- Click Export Now.
- Wait until this process is completed, this can take time for very big sites.
- When the export process is completed, the zip will be downloaded to your Downloads directory.
Importing/Restoring a Package
- Now go to the target single-site where you want to migrate the package. Make sure you install exactly the same version of Prime Mover used to generate the export.
Tip: It is recommended to clean the target site before restoring another site with Prime Mover. But this is a not a requirement. Cleaning before restoration will keep your site size under manageable levels as it does not contain any files or data that will not belong to the current site.
To clean a site, you need to do two things: reset the WordPress database or delete all files in uploads directory except prime-mover-export-files.
- Activate Prime Mover version and opt-in to Freemius notifications.
- Go to Migration Tools.
- Click Import.
- Browse to the uploaded package, select it.
- A confirmation dialog will pop-up. Make sure to read the details and make sure its correct. Use this info to verify if you have the correct site to be imported and other details.
- Wait until you see “Import done“.
- Go to Settings – Permalinks.
- Without changing any settings , just click “Save changes“
- Export/Import will not complete – if you think the process won’t complete, you can do any of the following things that works for you.
- Clear your browser cache and repeat the process.
- Restart PHP/Apache/Nginx/ Microsoft IIS server (depending on what you are using)
- After you’ve done above, repeat the export/import process.
If it is a temporary glitch, it should resolve all issues found. Otherwise if after troubleshooting the issue is still reproducible.